Thursday 27 March 2014

It Sucks Doesn't it? Feeling Like You're Second Choice...

Feeling like you're the second choice. Everyone has been through it at some point and so have I. I wanted to bring this up because I was thinking about middle school in general; and no matter how much people can sugarcoat it or make it seem amazing, it's just not. 



Of course it sucks. I feel it all the time. I know that I have my amazing friends who are always there for me, but I don't feel like that with them. But I feel like that when I'm surrounded by people who I don't even care about, but my brain automatically goes into a stage where I want to partner up with them. No matter how hard I try to shut it out, I feel like I shut myself out instead. I shut myself out of what's going on around me instead of facing it. I'm not going to lie: I feel like I have been ripped apart by my own sadness, ripped apart because I used to feel that no one liked me. I used to care too much about what others thought of me instead of surrounding myself with positive things. 

There was a time when I thought too much of the things around me and analysed everything too much. I would dwell on that little thought or action that made me sad for days and end up curling up in my bed and crying everyday. There was a time when I used to be negative all the time that it led me to being mute. Wouldn't talk for months even. Observing, I would try and convince myself that it was. People just assumed I was shy, but I wasn't. My 'friends' were nice, but never there for me. They would treat me like I was one of them until we had to partner up for something. They would go with each other. I used to feel isolated, alienated from others. I had to go with the last person left - the leftover. I pretended I didn't mind and always went back. They would ignore me unless they needed me and shut me out every time I tried to talk. 

I found that this was actually indirect bullying and even though I don't talk about it - I know what it feels like. I know what it feels like to be the second choice, the ignored person, the least valued person in the class. I knew I had to change but I didn't know how. I was stuck in this routine and I couldn't pull myself out of it, but I had to try. I talked to them and I guess it's better now. I found new friends that mattered to me and cared about who I was. I didn't have to act normal - I could be myself. I surrounded myself with positive people who helped my scars fade. I slowly grew out of my mentality about caring what others think, and even though I'm still insecure about things, I know how to deal with it. I'm human - I couldn't be perfect, but I could be happy. 

This was a hard post to write because I didn't want to talk about this time of my life, but I had to get it out. 

What this taught me was to stop caring. Because the less you care, the happier you are going to be. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a powerful post. I think it was so brave of you to use this space to share your thoughts on the subject. I think much of what you have shared is common to middle school, but it doesn't make it better or easier to deal with. Check out the book Stargirl I mentioned in class today, it wrestles with some of these issues. So does Wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - Stargirl is on my stack and I've already read Wonder. Wonder was a really good book and I could really connect to it.

      Delete

Labels