Tuesday 14 January 2014

If You're In a Shell,


This video is  about how someone can shut themselves out from the real world. Into a shell. A shell which probably everyone has shut themselves into. Harry Shum Jr. was a shy boy when he was small, 'painfully shy' as some might say it. Painfully shy meaning what? Painful for the person who is shy, or the person describing them? 

Everyone (including myself) has been through a stage where they have been shy and shut them into that shell. Everyone thinks you don't want to speak because you are afraid. But afraid of what? Afraid of expressing your thoughts, or painfully enduring the looks of others around you who you know are going to judge you? I think hiding in a shell just sounds much better. But this won't get you anywhere. The shell might keep you hidden, but you can still hear everyone around you. 

A few years ago, I was really shy. I never spoke in class, I never dared to raise my hand up or even talk to my friends in a normal voice. I didn't have many friends and I kept thinking they thought I was boring because I would never talk. I shrank further and further into my shell until I stopped speaking at all. Not a single word would come out of my mouth. 

It took me several months to realise and fix this. It took me a lot of time, but I slowly regained my confidence and came out my shell. This made me realise how hard it is to do that. The shell feels protective, but dangerous at the same time. It gives you a feeling of safety, but you are always vulnerable. 

Even when someone thinks they have never been in that shell, it is always there in someplace or another. It all comes back down to judgement. How people look at you and what they think. The best thing to do is to try and always be happy and surround yourself with positive and caring people who you know you can trust and won't judge you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels